Friday, April 19, 2013

Los Cocos.


These beautiful people live in a community called Los Cocos. Los Cocos sits on the side of a mountain just on the outskirts of Puerto Plata. 

 Within the barrios of Puerto Plata are small pockets of Haitaian Communities. Haitians here in the DR are persecuted, which in turn, makes their lives here in Puerto Plata very difficult. I have the extreme honor of serving with the Haitian Pastor that serves these Hatian Communities, Pastor Jacob. Truly a remarkable man. Love literally pours through the room every time he smiles and then you can't help but smile yourself. He is so humble and gentle. His heart beats for the people of these communities...it is pretty dang amazing. 

Pastor Jacob asked us to accompany him to Los Cocos. The reason for our visit was due to a miscommunication between members of the community and the mission, regarding a sick pig that needed medication.

Our visit turned into to much more than a visit for the pigs. Kids ran to greet us at the gates, as they all know and love Liz. The exquisite mothers of these children wait for us at the top of the hill, greeting us with a kiss on the cheek. Some of the people in the community speak Spanish, but mostly know Creole and can understand most French.

The mothers we met, are teachers at the school that is held in the church. Some mentioned needing school supplies for the school, some needed medication for infections and rashes, but most? Most of them just wanted to be around us. love us. invite us into their culture. I feel in love.



(I mean.. how could you not fall in love with those faces ^!?)

I must say, I felt a bit silly after my visit.. I walked up that mountain, determined to "help" these people. At the end of my visit? They had taught me more Creole and French then I knew when I got there, they invited me into their homes, their beautiful space, and their lives.

So, they may need some medication and school books. We can give them those things. But? I felt blessed and humbled leaving that place, as these people taught me about love and inviting people into your life, people you don't even know. In one afternoon, the people of the Los Cocos community softened a little bit of my heart and encouraged me to invite people in more often..and? Love, just because...

I am blessed that I will have many opportunities to serve and learn from the community of Los Cocos while I'm here in the DR. Bring on the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment