Thursday, November 14, 2013

Move Forward, Confidently

Experience has taught me that when God calls me to do something, no matter how crazy it seems, I need to go for it. I have also learned the more I question my big life decisions, the more frustrated I get. Every time I am faced with a tough decision about my future, I find myself trying to talk my way out of the scarier option. I always try to play it safe in my head, giving all sorts of excuses as to why I can't take a leap of faith and fully trust that God will take care of me.

Time and time again, I am nudged, and more often shoved into new, scary, and uncomfortable situations. I have survived them all, and learned a whole heck of a lot more than I would have had I taken the "safe" route all those times. At first glance, I never like God's plans for me. I prefer mine, obviously. My plans usually involve more waterskiing. God's plans are growing on me, however, and I don't put on such a hissy-fit trying to escape them anymore. When called in a given direction, I try my best to "move forward, confidently."

We were called to the Dominican Republic by way of DOVE missions, an organization in Puerto Plata that gives poor children a safe place to hang out, along with English lessons, food, and vitamins. The kids are amazing and the need is high. We were both offered positions with the organization, and decided without much hesitation to come down. The call was strong for both of us. After months of planning, we arrived. We literally hit the ground running, and during the first 2 weeks, felt like this is exactly where we were supposed to be. 

Over the next 3 weeks, a series of events revealed very clearly to us that DOVE missions is not a good fit for us. It is not a place where our gifts and talents could be put to good use. After a miserable process of pros/cons list, prayer, advice-seeking, and shoulder-shrugging, we decided to leave DOVE missions. The decision was fiercely combatted by fear, regret, embarrassment, and an overall sense of failure.

But now that the decision has been made, our shoulders feel a little lighter, and we can breathe a little easier. We can look back and realize that in a very short amount of time, we have learned more than we'd ever expected, and we're better for having this experience. 

So, now what?

Well, neither of us feel called to anything different, and we actually feel more strongly that our purpose is here, doing mission work. Through this experience, we have made many connections and met a lot of great friends. DOVE missions is just a small piece of a much larger puzzle. Our area is full of need, and there are many great organizations doing their best to fill the need. Our hope is to each find a position with another mission group, we are currently in the process of figuring out just where we fit in. 

We appreciate all of the support and wisdom that we have received from loved ones during this process. We ask that you continue to send prayers our way as we uncover the plans that God has for us here. 

If you have any questions, feel free to email us anytime at linleyscotrichter@gmail.com and/or davidmassey12@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment