Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Feliz Navidad

"It's Christmas Eve. It's Christmas Eve. Its Christmas Eve."

No matter how many times I say it, I still can not convince myself that it is Christmas Eve today. 

"Its Christmas Eve".....nope..still don't believe it. 

There is no snow on the ground, 80 degree weather outside, and I look out my window and there are cows walking down the street. 

Don't get me wrong, the DR loves Christmas time. Down here, Christmas started at the beginning of October. Christmas lights were up, stores had the traditional Christmas time food at store front (grapes, gummies, and apples), and Christmas music was heard through the streets. In the main plaza in Puerto Plata, you can even visit a half manger scene half santa's workshop display..that has a Christmas tree hovering over the whole thing (pictures coming soon). But? to me? No snow, no christmas. 

Christmas is being 'redefined' for me this year. Yes, I miss my family and friends. Yes, I would love to bake holiday cookies and bon bons with out immediately putting them into the fridge with fear the chocolate would melt within minutes. I miss snow men and hot cocoa. I miss Christmas decorating and present wrapping. I miss holiday party planning and Christmas traditions, dangit! Because that's what Christmas is all about, gosh darnit! 

Wait a minute...that's not right. 

This Christmas I am out of my element. God's got me out of my box of comfort. I am in a season where the true meaning of Christmas is all I can grasp to celebrate the season, because all of my christmas traditions are back home in the snow. 

This year, God's gift to the world, thinking about how blessed I've been this year, and truly being thankful for every person in my life, because without the people and the relationships..I am not sure where I'd be. That's Christmas this year. 

As I sip my coffee this morning, with sweat beads rolling down my forehead (because thats what happens when you drink coffee down here)..I send a Merry Christmas to all my friends and family back home. I miss you. I love you. I can't wait to cuddle up on the couch with you next Christmas. 

Feliz Navidad. 

(Stay tuned for updates..coming soon)







No comments:

Post a Comment